Monday, February 28, 2011

Journal #18

As I was working on my IRB Proposal over the weekend, I was doing more research about Shanti Ashram and how it will work into my project and I discovered a new dynamic that might affect my research. Shanti Ashram is based largely off of Gandhi's teachings, one of which is that religion can have more power and influence in creating world peace than politics. As a result, as part of their prevention methods for HIV, Shanti Ashram is working with the local religions to help teach about HIV infection, and to decrease the stigma. It makes sense that they would work with religions since it is the belief that religion is one of the answers to help solve the world's solutions.

As a general rule in public health, most prevention programs tend to try to work with the government. I've been taught many times that in order to have a successful program, the government needs to be involved and generally legislation of some sort is involved. Needless to say I am very interested to find out how this program works. I think that religion can play a very important part in public health prevention programs, depending on the place and culture. For example, in a place like France, where religion is not necessarily a pertinent part of the culture or modern society, I don't think this type of an approach would work. However, in a society where religious belief is important and is considered a vital part to learning and life, I think that it could have positive outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment