Monday, January 24, 2011

1/24/2011-Culture Blends

I think that the topics of culture and language are very interesting and important in any field. Yet is surprises me that so many people are apathetic when it comes to understanding another culture or language. I could really relate when the author spoke about being "number one", I have seen it not only in American culture but other cultures as well. It seems easier to assume that there is only "one" correct way of doing things and of course it is "my way". While reading the article about culture and language I remembered a specific experience I had with a person at a crepe party. Someone had asked me how to translate "What's up" into spanish and I replied "Que onda", now if translated literally it means "that wave", which of course doesn't make much sense in English. This person became very flustered at the fact that it didn't translate directly from Spanish into English and wanted to know why "they" would say something so "stupid" that doesn't make any sense. I tried to explain that it was because it was an entirely different language from English and although directly it didn't make any sense in English the meaning was still the same. Just becuase it wasn't English didn't make it "stupid". Unfortunately he was determined to think that in Latin America they should make their words and phrases just like American words and phrases and couldn't understand why it wouldn't happen that way. Although this is more of an extreme case I have seen a lot of people view different cultures and languages under this light. They can't understand why it isn't done "the right way".
Since I am going to a country where I don't know a lot about the language or the culture, i imagine I am going to have some difficult times with these barriers. I am trying to learn more about them;however, I have found that even though I am aware that they are completely different from my own and that just having good vocabulary doesn't mean that I will be able to communicate effectively, it is still difficult to keep an open mind when in the middle of a problem. It takes time to learn and understand how to communicate in a culture, and unfortunately there is no substitute.

3 comments:

  1. While there are a lot of Americans who believe that their culture is the best in the world the same thing happens in other countries too. When I was in Mexico I remember getting comments all the time on how Mexico was better than America fro whatever reason. I'm not trying to start an argument I just hope you realize that it's not only Americans who can be ethnocentric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your example Robyn. The use of the word "they" always intrigues me. Sometimes I think we subconsciously use it to justify our own correctness, that maybe somehow distancing "them" puts us in a position of authority that we don't have to feel uncomfortable with.

    You mentioned in your post that you have seen this attitude in other cultures as well. I wonder if you and Derrick have had any similar experiences in this regard. After class on Monday Dallin and I were talking a little about whether some cultural groups of people were more likely to be more ethnocentric than others. Do either of you have any thoughts on this question?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do understand that other cultures are ethnocentric and not just Americans. However, the example that I used was a recent one that has stuck out in my mind. I can think of other times when it has been the reversed and it was a person from another culture having this attitude towards American culture.

    And I do think that some cultures are more likely to be ethnocentric then others. At least in my experience it's been cultures who are either very proud of their history or very proud of their economic status today. But that is based just on my opinion and other people could have different experiences.

    ReplyDelete