Monday, January 10, 2011

Qualitative Field Research and Research Design

One of the most interesting parts of this reading was when the author discussed the differences between what people say that they do and what people actually do. He used the example of picking up litter and how even though the majority of people said it was a good idea to help keep a clean environment most did not do it. Not only did they not do it but they thought negatively about those who actually picked up litter or cleaned up graffiti. There was a big difference in this instance between what the people said and what they did. While this is not always the case (sometimes people do what they say) it definitely interesting when considering how to conduct a research project. Is your data sufficient by just conducting a survey? Are people telling you the truth? Or are they telling you what they think is the truth but in reality is not? And how does this effect the reliability of your study? Obviously it is not always possible to conduct an experiment, or even to watch what is happening to your subjects (for example you cannot live the life of an HIV infected person) but if the researcher is aware of this possible problem she/he can either try to avoid it. In what I plan to research as of now it would be difficult to conduct it in any other way aside from an interview or survey, but I am thinking about about if there is any other way I could study HIV among women in India. I am also trying to decide on if I want my study to be a study of the description of HIV or if I want an explanation. I think that describing the prevention methods and if they work or not may be better at this point of my research as opposed to trying to explain why it is or is not effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment